Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Do you want to ruin your relationship over a bowl of icecream ?

 When I think of asking this question it could be to anyone. A mother and daughter, husband and wife, two friends. With my scenario it's with a brother and sister. My 16 year old daughter and my 12 year old son. My son asked me if he could have some icecream. I said, "of course you can." I didn't realize this was going to start a fight between two of my children.

 As my son was walking up the stairs after scooping out a hefty amount of icecream in his bowl. I heard a blood curdling scream. Then fast footsteps running after my son yelling at him and calling him names. Saying "that I can't believe you took the rest of the icecream...etc..etc.!".I ran into his room to find tears coming out of his eyes and him saying "he hates his sister and that she's always so mean to him." I tried to comfort him by telling him that they are only words. That there is going to be many people in your lifetime that you may run into that may not always say nice things to you. I told him I was proud of him for being a gentlemen and not smacking his sister when she's in his face like that. That as his mother I am so proud that he has shown self control and I respect him and love him so much for this. I asked him to share half of his icecream with his sister and he reluctantly  let me put half in another bowl...with him saying, "that she doesn't deserve it". When I arrived at my daughters door with the other half of the icecream...she refused to believe it was half of the icecream. Seriously I said, you want to ruin your relationship with your brother over icecream?
He is your family.

The reason why I am telling this story is because my kids had both hurt each other over..a bowl of icecream. I can think of so many times I have heard or seen different people I know hurt over the smallest things. In the big picture..its just a bowl of ice cream!?

Please, next time you are in a situation where you find yourself fighting with a loved one, think about what you are actually fighting about, and is it worth it? 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh how I remember the days of these same kind of fights between my own children. Fortunately, time passes and they forget they ever had these fights. It was always harder for me than for them. I, like you, was always amazed at what they were fighting over. I'm sure they would be amazed at what Grandpa and I fight about about.